Transitional First Grade - The Gift of Time


When I received word that I was being moved back to Scottsburg, I was also told I would be teaching a new classroom.  This classroom would be for students that did not need to repeat kindergarten, but they weren't ready for first grade either. It would be a "Gift of Time" room. I would have a max of 15 students. I would teach kindergarten the first half of the year, and first grade the second half of the year. At the end of the year my students would be promoted to first grade for the following year. 

I was told that I wouldn't follow the kindergarten curriculum or the first grade curriculum. I also wouldn't use the textbooks for those grades. I would have free rein on my curriculum. 

Hmmmmmm.......sounds like a dream doesn't it? 

But, this means that I'm winging it. I have no standards, I have no Scope and Sequence. That first week of school I will see where my students are, and I'll go from there. 

I'm a planner. I like to know what I'm doing, and how I'm going to do it. 

Right now, this new assignment feels very vague. I've tried Googling Transitional First Grade, and there isn't a lot out there. My TPT cart is full of materials that I think I could use, but again, I'm not sure. 

These are a few of the TPT products that look promising: 







Anyone else a T1 teacher out there? How does your classroom look? Pros/Cons? What works? What doesn't? 

-Tracy


2 comments

  1. I would love to hear how your year went with transitional first grade. I am thinking about teaching a transitional first grade class next year. Where did you start and where did you end. I need lots of help, but I am not finding anything online. Do you mind lettinf me pick your brain?
    Thank you
    Becky Campbell

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you still teaching transitional first grade? I taught T1 for one year and would love to share ideas! There is not a lot out there. I taught transitional kindergarten for 5 years. I felt like transitional first grade would be more beneficial to kids. Would love to chat with you.

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top