Looming. Where to Begin?

If you are interested in beginning looming you have several options ahead of you. What brand to use. What type of loom to begin with. What should my first project be.

My name is Tracy, I have a loom addiction. :) 

Let me share my thoughts with you. I've tried out several looms and started my knitting club kids out on several. One thing that has become clear. We are not a fan of the Boye brand looms. The Boye looms have a little notch to hold your yarn in place. It sounds good in theory, but in actuality it becomes more of a pain than anything. Your yarn gets stuck in the notch and it's a pain to push your yarn down to wrap the next row. 

I recommend the Loops & Threads circuluar loom set from Michaels. (Don't forget if you are a teacher you get a 15% discount at Michaels. Just show your school ID)



My kids and I prefer this brand over the others. 

If you prefer to shop at Amazon Darice has a set that I also like to use. 

For your first project I suggest making a hat. They make great gifts and you can never have enough! I love this video from Melanie Ham. She talks you through how to make a brim and how to use the e-wrap stitch. The e-wrap is the easiest stitch and great for beginners. 





Let me know how it goes! If you make a hat please share your photos for the rest of us to see! You can make hats for everyone using this chart from Loom a Hat





After you've mastered the hat you can try scarves. This video is also from LoomaHat.




I hope you enjoy looming as much as I do!!!
-Tracy

2 comments

Back to Top