Changes are Coming


When I was in 5th grade I had a very strict teacher. In his class you always had to fold your papers a certain way, turn things in number order, and stand up when answering a question. Everyone else in the class had to turn and face you. 

One day he called on me to answer a math word problem.  I stood up and gave the wrong answer. He read the problem again, and I gave the wrong answer again. He read the problem for a 3rd time and I again gave the wrong answer. He made some comment about me getting the problem wrong. 

At this point I broke out of my quiet shell and shouted "Maybe if you actually explained the problem to me, instead of just reading it, I could figure it out!" 

I was sent to the hall......and this is the day I decided I would one day come back and teach at that school and not make students feel like I felt in that moment. 

That dream came true. My first full time spot was indeed at my home school. My husband also worked in that school. 

I taught at Lexington for 3 years and then had to move to another school in my district, Scottsburg, so my youngest boys could be picked up from preschool/daycare on time. Then I transferred back to Lexington last year. A few months ago my husband was offered the principal spot at our school. Under 1 condition, I had to leave. 

Saying I was heartbroken would be an understatement. I couldn't stand in the way of his dreams, but I was going to have to leave mine behind for it to happen. 

Once again, I had to pack up my room. (My 5th move) 

At first my school board was going to move me to the Middle School as there were no elementary spots open. I was going to work on an emergency license and teach Family and Consumer Science. I had a minor freak out over this. I looked at the State test for that license and it wasn't pretty. I can cook, but the questions on the sample test were crazy. 

A week later my Superintendent came back and told me there was an opening at Scottsburg elementary, and I was now moving to that spot. 

I am now going to be teaching a Transitional First Grade class. It's a "Gift of Time" program. Meaning,  it's for a small group of kids, no more than 15, that don't need to repeat kindergarten, but aren't ready for 1st grade either. They will be with  me for a year and then the following year move into first grade full time. Half of my year will be kindergarten material, and the other half 1st. 

I won't be using our kindergarten curriculum, or our first grade curriculum. I'm winging it! 

I hate that I'm leaving my home school behind. I truly love it. It's been my dream for a long time. 

I'll miss my knitting kids and the staff that have become my second family. But, I have worked at this school before. I already know the staff and routines. That makes things easier. I'll be spending this summer figuring out my curriculum and once again preparing a new room. 

My friend Michelle was kind enough to go into my new room and take pictures the last day of school.



Bathrooms, sink, and water fountain in my room!!! Woot. Woot! 

I hate carpet. 


See the hidden closet behind that cabinet?? I'm scared to see what's in there. 


Do you see those walls!!! I can't handle those colors. I plan on painting, cleaning out the closet, and getting everything ready by August 8th. 

It's going to be a busy summer! 

-Tracy

No comments

Back to Top