Plot Diagram

My students always struggle with Plot structure. They take it as summarizing the story. This doesn't carry over so well into their writing. My goal this year was to really make Plot Structure sink in and make since for them. I started with hooking them in.

(Ignore that Climax wasn't a perfect point, I fixed that later.)

I put this blank diagram up in the hallway.  Then I didn't tell them what it was. Everyday students were asking me what this was for. I countered and asked them what they thought. A few said roller coster, others said it was something for math, and still others had crazy ideas. I remained silent for almost 2 weeks! The suspense was driving them crazy!!!  

The day of my lesson I asked my class if they could finger draw the diagram in the hallway. Every kiddo put their finger in the air and drew the diagram.  They won't be forgetting what this looks like for awhile! 

I then took them to the hallway and added the labels. 

While I was explaining each section they were taking notes. 


Once they were done taking notes we went back inside for a Prezi. This is a public Prezi that was created by Tim McNamara. 

            

We had just finished reading HP so this worked out perfectly and saved me some time! I loaded the Prezi in Canvas and each student was able to access it with their iPads. Once everyone was logged in, we went over it together adding any details and answering questions. 

For a take away project they were given a Plot Diagram Choice Board. Glogster is an app that we hadn't used much in class. It's not the friendliest of programs to use, but I wanted to encourage them to try it out again. I also gave pts for any app or project that was more challenging. I want to push my students to try new or harder things without me baby stepping them through the process. 




I only had 2 students draw their diagrams. Every other student picked one of the apps or created it using Keynote. Glogster was tricky for them but they gave it a try and for that I rewarded them. Don't get me wrong, I like Glogster, it just needs some work. 


We continued with Plot through the week and my kiddos finally started carrying it over into their writing. Success!!!! 

-Tracy

No comments

Back to Top